Monday, September 26, 2011

Chicks Dig Scars

When the doctor told me I was having a boy, my mind immediately flashed in the future to all the dirt, scrapes, broken bones, bruises, and injuries I would be blessed to deal with during this little boy's life.  This weekend alerted me to the scary reality of my vision, when Jaxon got his first giant goose egg on his head.  Let me just say, coffee tables are dangerous.  Jax has been crawling, standing with support, and cruising around furniture for a while now, and at least once a day he bumps his head or falls on something.  So, the other day when he bumped his head on the coffee table, I just picked him up and held him to calm his tears as usual...but he wasn't calming down.  That's when I saw it.  A giant purple/red lump protruding out of his perfect little forehead.  It was so sad.  I freaked out and yelled for Robie.  We put ice on his head (which he hated), and did everything we could think of to keep him from falling asleep.  He was crying and crying until I got the camera out.  This boy loves being the center of attention.  The picture doesn't give the bump justice on how big it was.

But wait...there's more!  Just when I thought the drama of the day was over, another disaster happened.  After moving the coffee table downstairs, we were trying to get Jaxon to laugh and cheer up before bed time, so we gave Cooper (one of our dogs) an empty plastic juice bottle to play with.  Cooper goes CRAZY for these things and pushes it around the house barking and panting from excitement.  Jaxon was laughing so hard watching this, until Cooper jumped over Jaxon to get the bottle and scratched him under his eye.  The dog got a swift kick in the rear, more tears were added to the day, and now I am just sad because my little boy looks like he's been in some kind of bar fight or something.

Robie just kept saying, "Oh, I am sure this is nothing compared to what we will have to deal with later." as if that is supposed to make me feel better? Why can't I put him in bubble wrap and protect him forever?  I know there will be bigger and badder accidents to come, especially since he is the offspring of Robie, but I hope there will never be anything too big that I can't handle.  I just love Jax so much, and I would take his pain away any day if it means he is happy.  This one is going down in the baby book for the first of many battle wounds to come.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Poor little guy! He is tough though and Robie is right more to come and yes a lot more cause it's ROBIE'S Offspring!

Wish we could have went to the farms with you guys! :( I know Brighton would have just loved it!