Thursday, January 24, 2013

Gavin 2 Month Update

2 Month Stats 
Weight: 13 lbs (61%) 
Height: 23.5 in (66%) 
Head: 15.75 in (73%)

I am writing this at 1am since it's the only time I have to blog, so be forgiving if I sound a little scatter brained.  Having 2 kids is a lot harder than I anticipated, but I think we are finally starting to get the hang of things.  I can't believe Gavin is already 2 months old! He is such a happy little baby (as long as he is fed), and we love him so much.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to do monthly pics again, but I thought they would be nice to have to look back on, and I didn't want Gavin feeling neglected later since I did them for Jaxon.  So, I decided to do them, but I will probably update his progress every couple months instead of every month.  It's so fun seeing how much he has grown in just the past little while.



At about a month and a half, Gavin started smiling.  Now, he smiles all the time.  He usually goes through the day in a wake, eat, poo, change, smile, fuss, eat, and sleep cycle.  He is starting to coo a lot more, and I love his reactions when he hears his own voice.

Gavin eats a lot.  I was frustrated at the hospital after I had him, because a lactation consultant told me I needed a nipple shield without really working with me.  I totally gave in and used a shield, because I thought she knew best.  I really didn't want to use a shield, but it was too late and Gavin got hooked on it.  He would not nurse without it.  I tried frequently to have him nurse without it, but eventually I just accepted I would be using the shield forever.  It's funny how things work, because when I was comfortable and okay with using the shield all the time, Gavin decided he didn't need it anymore.  Now that he has nursing down pretty well, I hope that it's something that will last a long time so we don't have to spend our life savings buying formula.  (Seriously, formula has gone up $6 a tub from when I had Jaxon.  Craziness!)  I have also been trying to store a lot of freezer milk, so we have a big supply later on.

I'm not sure if it's a growth spurt or he just likes to eat a lot, but Gavin really eats all the time.  He really is a good baby, but if he is hungry he turns into a beast.  He is a lot bigger than Jax ever was at his age.  He is already wearing 3-6 month clothes, and a lot of his cute newborn outfits he only wore once time.  Here is a side by side of Jax at 3.5 months wearing a shirt that Gavin could wear at 1.5 months.  I guess we are going to have a rolley polley little man soon, and I can't wait.  I love chubby thighs on little babies!


A few other things about Gavin:
  • Coos, smiles, and kicks
  • Loves getting his diaper changed
  • Tolerates baths as long as he is warm
  • Loves swinging in his swing
  • Loves being held, and most of my day he hangs out in the Moby or Baby Bjorn
  • Will nurse with or without a shield and will take a bottle and pacifier.  He loves his puppy Wubbanub pacifier (a soothie paci with an animal sewed onto it) since he can hold onto it really well.
  • Hates being swaddled, because he likes his hands near his face
  • Sleeps really well at night, usually sleeping from 9pm-11pm, nurses, 12am-6am, nurses, and then 6:30am-9am
  • Loves the ceiling fan and gets so happy when it is turned on
  • Loves having kicking time on the floor
  
Gavin is such a blessing in our lives, and we love him so much.  I'm not going to lie, compared to Jaxon, Gavin is a lot more work as a baby.  However, Jaxon was an angel child who rarely cried and was content to be swaddled and stay in his swing all day long if I let him, so I really think Gavin is just a normal baby.  I can tell he is going to be a momma's boy, and that's totally okay with me.  I can't get enough of his snuggles and I love him so much!  

Here is one of my favorite pictures of him in his Texas Longhorn outfit (which Jax didn't fit in until 5 months).  Adorable!  Love this little guy!

 

3 comments:

Elizabeth O. said...

Oh man, he is a cute baby. I'm so glad you're all settling into your new routines and getting the hang of life as a family of four. Some days are tough huh? I love those onesies with the numbers on them. WHere did you get those?

Rachel DeFreese said...

I have tried leaving comments, as I am feeding in the middle of the night, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it from my phone. Anyways, I often wish I was your neighbor through this whole 'adjusting to two with a toddler' phase. I bet your days are a lot like mine. It would be nice to have a house to walk to and be filled with the exact same things as ours, but still feeling like you are getting a break by leaving yours. You guys are looking great! Love reading what you are going through--it's sooooo validating!

Unknown said...

Thanks Elizabeth! The onesie numbers are stickers that I got on etsy. They go onto onesies you already have. They were $10 I think and they have a ton of different styles. You should get some! They also make awesome baby shower gifts.