“We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are.” Marjorie Hinckley
Was planning the perfect party important? No. Would Jaxon care about the fancy details? No. Was I being totally immature in trying to prove something? Yes. So, I took a step back, re-evaluated my priorities, and decided to simplify things. Instead of buying glass jars, I put the cookies on plates. Instead of fancy milk glasses and straws, I bought plastic cups at Wal-Mart. We had soup, Capri Sun drinks for the kids, and bought a few balloons. It was simple, and it was fabulous.
I have a quote on my bathroom mirror that says, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." Next to it is a picture of myself when I was 130 pounds and wearing a size 4. I was hot. I look at it everyday wishing I could be tiny again. Today I took down that quote and replaced it with the one I posted by Marjorie Hinckley. Instead of skinny hot, I am now a different kind of hot. I have curvy hips and a few awesome purple battle wounds (stretch marks) from carrying and delivering a baby. I am so honored and privileged to be a mom, and my mommy scars are worth every minute I get to raise my beautiful little boy. No longer will I wish for something that once was, because the person I am now has so much more joy than the person I was then. There is always room for improvement, but I want to learn to be content with what I am now. I want to stop trying to prove something, and I want to simplify things and enjoy life one day at a time. I can still strive to be my best self, but I don't have to become something I am not. This doesn't mean I am going to be lazy and not care anymore. I still want to challenge myself, work out, discover new things, make cool crafts, and learn new recipes, but "at a pace that is comfortable". I need to remember I can't do it all at once, and that is totally okay.
I don't have any perfect party pictures that belong on Pinterest for people to oooh and awww about, but I do have pictures, and they are worth 1,000 words and more. Thanks to everyone who came and celebrated with us! It was so much fun!
Cousin Ellie giving Jax some birthday advise
Robie helping the kids with their party poppers during Jax's bday song






6 comments:
You go girl! Way to simplify!
cute! i love that quote. something i think we all struggle with in one way or another
I loved this post! Thanks for the awesome reminder. That's a very mature, and commendable attitude. I'd trade my weight for a baby any day...you might have to remind me I said that some day though.
I LOVE love love this post! I have a hard time with Pinterest because I don't have the eye for art and cute things and it always makes me feel bad that I'm not putting enough effort into holidays or gatherings. But that's not where I'm comfortable I guess. Thanks for sharing! :)
Wow, love this post! And I absolutely love that quote, I'm going to have to put it on my mirror too. I personally think that over the top parties (the ones you see on pinterest and blogs) are silly. The child will never remember it and will never care whether their parents threw them an awesome party or not. I guess they might care if their 16th b-day was an awesome party, but they'll never care what their 1st b-day party was like :) Plus all the money it costs (like you mentioned) to throw a party like that is craaazy!! But I do have to admit I get caught up in that stuff too.
I think what you did is great, it looks like his party was a success and I'm sure everything that you made was delicious because you are a wonderful baker! Wish we could have made it there! Anyway, thanks for posting this, I really needed it!
Way to go Chelsea!!! You just created a wonderful memory!
Post a Comment