I wish I could say I had a wonderful birthday yesterday, but to be honest, it tied with my 19th birthday as one of the worst birthdays of all time. (My 19th bday I sat completely alone in an office all day long with nothing to do.) The day before my birthday was a way better day than my actual birthday. Robie and I went to Texas Roadhouse (my choice), and I indulged in carb and sugar filled foods until I felt sick to my stomach. It's been a month on my diet now, and I have successfully lost 18 pounds (my wedding ring and pre-prego jeans finally fit again), but I am sure after that meal I gained at least half of it back. It was totally worth it though. When it's your birthday at Texas Roadhouse, they yell real loud and get everyone to scream "Yeee-haww!" at the top of their lungs. I think 80 percent of the people eating that night had a birthday, because yee-haws were firing off every 5 minutes, and every time it happened it freaked Jaxon out to the point of him screaming. It was kind of funny at first, but got annoying real fast. I ordered the brownie sundae for dessert, but I could only take 3 bites before feeling disgustingly sick.
After we got home, I went with a friend on another midnight Wal-mart coupon trip. I picked up some really good deals, but now I am running out of room in my house to store everything. Hopefully the guy in our basement moves out soon. I celebrated the clock turning midnight at Wal-mart for my actual birthday by purchasing a Coke Zero. Zero calories, zero sugar, and zero guilt...even though it's still cheating. Then, I went to bed.
The morning of my birthday, I woke up to Robie gone at work and Jaxon still sleeping. My sister in-law called me and wished me a happy birthday which started the day off nice. Jax slept in until 8:30, so I was able to eat breakfast before him for once. I didn't really feel a special birthday vibe or anything. It just felt like a normal day. There were no presents set out for me or breakfast in bed. My house was a disaster in every room, laundry everywhere, dishes covered the kitchen, and I had no desire to make myself look presentable since Robie would not be home until 8-9pm from his night class at school. Jaxon spent the day in a bad mood, which quickly turned into a horrible mood. I was supposed to meet Robie at his work 30 min away for lunch, but since the weather was raining super bad and our windshield wipers suck, I decided to drive to the grocery store instead and get a few things at Smith's that Wal-mart didn't have. I got some more really good deals, but I was slightly depressed I was spending the day at the grocery store instead of doing something fun.
Maybe it was the rain, maybe it was PMS, or maybe I was just having a pity party for myself, but when I got home from the store I just felt alone and depressed. I remember birthdays being fun and special. What happened to make mine so lame? I turned my phone off since it was alerting me every 3 minutes that someone on facebook wrote "Happy Birthday" on my wall. I then changed Jax's FOURTH poopy diaper for the day and put him in his crib since he would not stop crying and I had already tried everything possible to make him happy. He needed to cry it out and take a nap, and I needed to do the same. So...that's what we both did.
I woke up from my nap and turned on my phone to quickly get a call from my family. They sung me happy birthday and it was just what I needed at that time. I waited for Robie to get home from class, but it was taking him forever. When he finally got home right before 9pm, he had a bag in his hand. The bag had a card in it- which is a huge deal because he hates cards. I opened my gift to find a brand new Flip Video Camera. I was super excited, because it showed he listened. Every time he asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I could never give him an answer because I never feel like I need anything. I would rather buy Jax a cute outfit than buy myself one, especially since I still have weight to lose. But Robie remembered a long while ago when I mentioned it would be nice to have a Flip. It made made me happy.
Then, Robie's brother Jon-David and his friend Lacey came over. The boys ate pizza and watched some boring documentary about the conspiracies behind the decline of the economy, and Lacey and I tried to entertain ourselves reading Cosmo magazines while I ate boring grilled chicken and lettuce. And that was it. The clock struck midnight, my birthday was over, and I went to bed.
When I type it all out, I guess it doesn't sound like that horrible of a day. Just really boring. I am excited to be 24, because when I was little I thought it was the perfect age to be. Still fun and young, but old enough to be taken seriously as an adult. Things could have been worse, and I still have so much to be grateful for in my life. Thanks for all those who sprinkled some bday love via facebook, text message, or phone call. I am also thankful for Robie for making me feel special even though he was hard at work providing for our family and going to school. I guess I am just going to have to face the fact that the days of fun birthdays are over and as an adult, birthdays are just like any other day. Luckily I have Jaxon to spoil and plan fun birthday parties for now.

4 comments:
i know what you mean. the older i get the more depressing my birthdays get. maybe that's why we have kids so we can be happy celebrating for them!
Welcome to motherhood! My first birthday as a mom, Claire was 3 days old and I got lectured and cried at the pediatrician's office because she was jaundice. The next one, my husband forgot. It's never all about you again. Happy late birthday!
I remember on my birthday last year (which was less than stellar) P said something to the affect that I should get used to birthdays that aren't exciting and all about me because that's how it's going to be when we have kids!! So basically for the rest of my life! Rude huh?! I didn't take that so well but, I guess he had a point. It's sad but it's kind of true what Misty and Jen said above, the older you get the more depressing b-days get and the more they are never about you again! Sorry that your day wasn't all that great, your flip camera sounds awesome though! Here's to a better birthday next year!
Happy Birthday Chelsea! We need to get our birthday lunch in! And in a mere 2 days I am sure I will be celebrating my birthday by cleaning my house and sending off Canyon and Shane to a Fathers and sons outing. Yay!!
Post a Comment