Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Crazy Coupon Lady

I'm not going to lie, I was slightly embarrassed when I walked into Wal-Mart and Smith's for the first time carrying a giant binder full of coupons. Once I made it into Smith's, it didn't help that a few college guys took one look at my binder and started laughing at me.  Would they laugh once they saw how much I saved though?  Probably not.  So, enjoy living on your ramen noodles little college boys.  I will gladly take my coupons.

This is actually my first try at couponing.  I have always wanted to coupon to save money since I left my job, but after watching Extreme Couponing I felt like if I was spending more than $.96 for a shopping trip, it was too much.  Thankfully, I went to a coupon conference that taught me how to do real couponing and not fake reality tv show couponing.  (Those ladies on that show abuse couponing, and it actually makes me mad now.  This article has a lot to say about it.)

Utah has a lot of couponers, and the numbers are growing every day.  For that reason, I decided to head to Wal-Mart at 10:30pm last night, so I could be the first to snag some good deals at midnight when Double Coupon Tuesdays start.  I guess a lot of other people had the same idea.  I was excited to use a razor coupon I just got which would allow me to have a free package of razors.  I walked to the razor isle and studied my coupon to see which one the fine print qualified me for.  I guess I was too slow, because a few ladies saw me and literally jumped in front of me taking ALL the razors in the bin.  Every. Single. One.  It actually pissed me off, and when they walked around the isle I gave them the bird.  I guess they had 20 coupons for razors and wanted to make sure they got them all.  They must have really hairy legs.  The rest of my trip consisted of avoiding those same women, along with competing against the other couponers to get the good deals before they were gone.  It took me 35 minutes to check out- mostly because the checker didn't know the coupon policy yet and had to re-scan EVERYTHING I had...twice.  Then, I realized she forgot to scan the last $15 of coupons I had, so I had to go back and get my money.  Blah.  When I finally returned home at 1:45am, I was on a little bit of a high.  I felt proud of myself for taking on the coupon challenge and coming out victorious.  I'm sure I still have a TON to learn, but I think I did pretty well for my first two trips.

This was my starting point.  I think there were Sunday papers and coupons on every surface of our house until I learned how to organize them all.
The final outcome is my beautiful coupon binder =  priceless

Wal-Mart Shopping Trip
Usually, I would get all this for about $50 (formula is expensive)
 With coupons, I got all this for $54 (Without coupons = about $120)
 That is a 74% savings

Smith's Shopping Trip 
Usually, I would get this for $20
With coupons, I got all this for $21  (Without coupons = about $54)
 That is a 62% savings 

Now we can start a nice food storage/stockpile for when I can eat sugar again...or the end of the world comes.  If you coupon and you have any tips or tricks for me, PLEASE let me know.

5 comments:

Heather said...

So glad you've joined the world of couponing. I totally understand being frusterated, couponers are coming out of the woodwork now that "extreme couponing" has been on TV.

The first few times (maybe 5 times) you coupon at a store it's going to be painfully slow. And you're going to mess up. I remember couponing trips taking me HOURS. I never coupon with my girls or I lose my mind. But eventually it'll go faster, and you'll be in and out.

The coupon blog I religiously follow is hiptosave.com

It's my favorite! Good luck and let me know if you find any fantastic deals!

Shelley Brown said...

I love to coupon also but I don't carry around a big coupon binder. That is a lot more work I think. I just use the websites to tell me the good deals, I then cut them out at home and take them to the store. I mainly shop at smiths, maceys, rite aid and sometimes walgreens. I too like hip2save, and grocery smarts. I recently started doing the walmart doubling. What site are you using?

Souza Family said...

Way to go you. A bunch of girls in my neighborhood coupon. One of them works for her sister's coupon blog, which I believe is the crazy coupon lady...
Anyway, it scares me, but I think you are awesome to be able to get that organized and I would have loved to see you flipping the bird in the razor isle.

Kristin Call said...

ooh! Well done! My only other major couponing tip would be to figure out Rite Aid. I LOVE RITE AID. To each his own, but I love it. I'd be happy to help you out with that particular store. It's my go-to. I go every Monday.

and omg about those women. that's so RUDE! I've never seen that happen. We always leave at least 2 on the shelf so other people can get the deals. (And that's only if there aren't very many left. Normally we leave a lot more)

Joanie Harbor said...

yaaa for couponing. i walk into stores with my binder too, although mine is a cheap one from walmart. where did you get yours? i want one!!