Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My 1st Mother's Day

I know I am a little late, but I thought it might be good to record my Mother's Day since it was my very first.  I didn't wake up to breakfast in bed, flowers, or a card...that's not Robie's style.  I did wake up to a massage table set up in the living room and the scent of lavender lotion.  Robie gave me a professional relaxing massage (he graduated from massage therapy school a few years ago), and it was only interrupted by Jax twice- not bad.  Then, we went to church and I wore a new shirt from the mini-shopping spree Robie took me on the day before.  I got a few shirts, some new shoes, and one of these:



Then, we headed over to the in-law's house and had some dinner.  When we got home, I went through Jaxon's bedtime routine- bath, lotion, pajamas, swaddle, bottle, rocking chair.  As I rocked him to sleep, I was filled with happiness and peace on how happy he makes me.  Finally asleep and with his eyes closed, I kissed his tiny head and whispered a quiet "I love you" in his ear, and he opened his eyes, gave me a smile, and closed his eyes again.  It was a moment I will never forget.  I imagine that was his way of saying "I love you too".  Being a mother is the greatest blessing I could ever have, and I am so grateful that Jaxon made it to earth so I could learn and grow with this calling.


I feel so lucky to be surrounded by so many wonderful women in my life who are examples to me daily- especially my own mother.  I made sure I wore a very special strand of pearls passed down to me from my great-grandma to my grandma to me.  It made me feel connected to my family so far away in Texas and comforted me since I often feel left out and alone here in Utah.

Every woman is a mother.  Happy Mother's Day to every woman.

No comments: