If I could have it my way, I would be Chelsea- working woman in the day, stay at home mom in the afternoon. I went into my work office last week and pleaded my case to work part time. I think I could do an awesome job at working partly from home and I could go into the office once or twice a week if needed. However, this was not an option. I cried and cried wishing I could have the best of both worlds. I had to make a decision. It was black and white. Be a full time working mom OR a full time stay at home mom. I knew what I was going to choose since the day I got pregnant, but it was the hardest thing in the world to actually say the words out loud. I am leaving my position...the position I spent a whole year working to get...to be a stay at home mom.
I don't know why this has been so hard for me to handle. It's like I need a 12 step program on "How to Leave Work and Stay Home". What's wrong with me? I think it is because up until having Jaxon, who I am as a person has been defined by what I do. I spent 4 years of college studying for a degree for the purpose of landing a great job. When I got hired as a nobody in my company, I spent every day plotting on how I would make it into the marketing department. When I finally got the chance to prove myself, I didn't want to let anyone down. I worked hard every day to go above and beyond what was expected until I was finally offered my position. It wasn't about the money (because let's be honest- i wasn't getting paid a lot). It was about being at a company I loved and in a position I loved even more and being happy when I drove to work everyday. When you spend 8 hours a day/ 40 hours a week doing one thing, it kind of becomes a part of who you are. Now that I am not working, I feel like I don't know who I am. I know I am a mom to a beautiful baby boy, but what else? I am terrified of losing myself and losing who I am as a person. To be a good mom, I think it is important to find time for yourself and not lose your talents. I want to be a good example and show my kids I can do more than just make a mean lasagna and get tough stains out of laundry, but now I don't know how. How can I balance being a rock star mom while not losing who I am as an individual?
I heard something the other day that sounds like it is probably a quote on a bathroom mirror somewhere.
"Who I am is not what I do.
I am not defined by my job."
I need to remember this is true. I need to remember that I am not my job. If I died tomorrow, what will people say about me. I hope they don't say stuff like, "She was the best at organizing her desk and always color coded her folders according to months." No. I want to be remembered as a great wife, mother, daughter, and friend. I am honestly happy to have the chance to be at home with Jaxon. I know many mothers don't have the chance to stay at home, and I am so glad I do have that opportunity. Just today I was thinking about the miracle of life and how crazy it is that this little person entered into this world. Having a baby has taught me so much- mostly to be selfless. Today there was a moment where on my left I had Jaxon screaming at the top of his lungs, and on my right I was covered in poo- but I didn't even care. I was so concerned about him and how he felt and getting him into the bathtub- I didn't even care about myself. Having a baby has made me realize how selfish I used to be. My thoughts used to be about when I was going to buy my next cute pair of jeans or what movie I was going to see over the weekend. Now everything revolves around Jaxon. Every noise he makes causes me to drop everything, and every meal I eat only comes after feeding him first. I now realize what it means to give yourself to something or someone fully, because that is all I do. So, I need to remember- leaving my job is not the end of the world. It's just a chapter in my life closing for a bit while a new chapter begins. And you know what...I like this new chapter...a lot. I hope in the middle of this new adventure I can still find a way to do things for myself every once in a while. I know as much as I loved my job, nothing in this world will ever be more rewarding than being a mom. Nothing.

5 comments:
Loved this post. I honestly hated staying at home at first, but now I love it! After Jaxon's a little bit older, you'll have a lot of time for yourself. I've slowly been finding myself again. You'll eventually find yourself again outside of work. It'll take time, but you're so talented that you'll figure out what makes you feel fulfilled. :)
i love this post. that is all.
Chels- love this post. You are NOT alone- just know that! It is SO hard to be at home at first- ESPECIALLY when you've been working. I don't know "Heather" but what she said is so true- you'll start to find yourself again the older he gets and there will ALWAYS be long, hard days- but you're right- in the end, you want to remember the moments you were with your little ones- not at the office. You'll do great and you're a wonderful mom!
aw this post made me so sad at first....orangesoda misses you! i think what you're doing is so wonderful though and i know it will pay off. little jaxon will be all the better for it! :)
I love bein home wih my jaxton too! I work 2-3 days a week tho so I'm not with him as much as you but ilike it...and I have $50k of student loans to pay off...so I kinda need to work. Jaxon is so cute and your pics are adorable!
Post a Comment