Friday, November 5, 2010

Got Milk?

Never in my life have a been a big drinker of milk.  The only time I have have milk is if it was paired with chocolate chip cookies or a bowl of lucky charms.  Other than that, I don't really drink it.  In the past few weeks, all of this has changed.  I can't get enough milk.  In the morning I have a giant glass of milk, and when I get home from work I go straight to the milk jug and chug as if my life depended on it.  All this milk drinking has also made for more trips to the grocery store.  Is this a pregnancy thing?  I don't know, but it's kind of weird that it's happening now.  I take calcium supplements every day, so I don't know what has brought this on.  At least milk is good for the bones, right?

When my mom was pregnant with my sister, she had a bizarre craving for chalk.  Yes.  Chalk.  As in the white stick a teacher picks up to write on the chalkboard.  I always thought she was CrAzY for this....until the other day.  I was sitting in church while the teacher was writing on the board.  Not a white board, but a chalk board.  All of a sudden, I had this craving for chalk.  I imagined myself taking two chalk board erasers, banging them against each other, and basking in the cloud of chalk dust that would appear.  (It sounds so heavenly just thinking about it even now.)  I am proud to say I did NOT eat the chalk or bang erasers together and roll around like a dog in heat.  However, it may or may not happen sometime in the future.  Just saying.  Does this make me weird?  Sure.  But aren't we all a little weird- pregnant or not?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some women crave dirt too... Crazy. Here is a good explanation about it:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/unusualcravingspica.html

Jen christensen said...

Me too! not the chalk thing but the milk thing. I would buy two jugs a week and Jared doesn't even drink milk. Milk with cookies, chocolate milk, with cereal, instant breakfast mix or whatever. It's a pregnancy thing.

Anonymous said...

They say pregnant women crave things their body needs- dirt usually means iron or something like that. You should talk to your doctor and see what chalk generally means.

Souza Family said...

craving chalk is a sign that you might be lacking iron. If you haven't had your iron checked lately, you might want to.