You might have already heard of a recent article titled, "Why I can't stop reading Mormon housewife blogs", but If you have not, it is an interesting read (especially if you like to blog). Check it out.
Random thoughts on the article:
I found it funny that there are non-LDS people out there stalking LDS housewife blogs and finding them interesting. I am sure there are many housewife blogs out there that are just as wonderful and crafty/fun from non-LDS women, but something about mormon housewives captivate readers in a way other blogs don't I guess? Are mormon housewives really that different than other housewives?
I love to blog, because it's like keeping a journal and it's way cheaper than scrapbooking. Sometimes, I feel like the lives of my friends and family are perfect when I read their blogs. Fun vacations, perfect families, crafty projects, amazing cooking dishes, always happy marriages...everything just seems picture perfect. But then I started thinking about my own blog. Do I portray myself like that?
I find myself blogging the most when I am happy and have something fun, new, or exciting to share. When I feel depressed, angry, or frustrated with life, I write in a private me-only blog that I set up. I never share those feeling with anyone. Recap: when I am happy- I write in my Robie-and-Chelsea family blog, and when I am wanting to vent about stuff- I write in my private blog. Does this mean I am portraying a false reality of what my life is like? If someone out there thinks I fall into the category of a "picture perfect happy mormon housewife blog", then I just wanted to share that my life is in no way perfect. Don't get me wrong, I am so happy with my life and I have so much to be grateful for, but perfect? No. For example, I have spent most of today wanting to pull my hair and teeth out with a screaming baby who will not be happy no matter what I do. In the rare 30 minutes of time I have to myself while he sleeps, I have taken a quick shower (which has not happened in 2 days) and written this blog post. Not trying to be Negative Nancy here, and I assure you I LOVE being a mom and being with Jaxon. Just sayin'. Today was a rough day and definitely not perfect.
Blogging is like therapy to me. It's a way to journal the things in my life I want to remember. From now on, I want to do a better job of being real. Life is not always skittles and rainbows and sometimes life can be like drinking sour milk (puke), but I when I look back on my life (via my blog), I want to remember not only the fun times but the struggles and challenges that make me stronger. So, I am going to do a better job in 2011 of being real and just saying it how it is- the good, the bad, and the ugly (but hopefully mostly good).
I also promise that my blog will not turn into a blog about Jaxon. Being a mom, it's so hard to take time for yourself since you are constantly focused on your baby. A lot of times I see friend's blogs go from all about them to all about their baby, and I never hear about how they are doing. I am sure I am going to have a lot of future posts about Jaxon since he is my life now, but I want to make sure I am still posting about Robie and me and other things that make me happy too. Well, I feel like I am blubbering off on random tangents now, so I will stop.
What are your thoughts about the article? Why do you blog?
4 comments:
yeah i read that article a week or so ago and i really liked it. especially because i read half of the blogs mentioned in there myself. i blog because: i want to remember things that went on in my life (just like you said- kind of like a journal), i like to write about things other than for a school assignment, i like to fill everyone in on whats going on in my life without having to call everyone individually, i feel guilty not blogging myself when i so readily stalk everyone else's lives, aaaand i love people telling me how funny i am (to be completely honest and egocentric)
I thought the article was very interesting. I think it's cool that women, like the author, are drawn to these "Mormon housewife blogs" and that they notice the genuine happiness that these "Mormon housewives" convey through their blogs. But I definitely agree that sometimes it can look a little too perfect. It's easy for me to visit blogs and feel a little down on my less than perfect life. I have to remind myself that just because they don't blog about their difficulties doesn't mean that they don't have them. Although I think it's really refreshing when someone posts a "real life" post on their blog telling about a time when they had a disagreement with their husband, or about a bad day, etc. because it helps me to realize that I'm not alone. I want to be more "real" on our blog because I started our blog as a journal and as a way to keep our family updated. Therefore it only seems right if I blog about our ups and downs.
I just read that article, very interesting. I don't think that they (the bloggers) try and make it seem like they have perfect lives, I only follow a couple of the 4. I just think that we can handle our problems better because we can see the big picture. I defiantly hear them talk about bad days or things that happen to them that aren't so pleasant, I just think they have a better attitude about it and they or We as members don't like to make things a big deal. If you think about it we kind of do have easier lives. We know our purpose most of us don't have to or want to work full time plus be a mom and a wife and that alone is easier. But I do agree with being candid. Why do you think people watch reality tv they want to see the good and the bad. Anyways thanks for sharing it was a fun read. Miss you give my little nephew a kiss from me and B
Jaxon is so soooo cute!! I absolutely LOVE that owl beanie! Its so cute! I agree, blogging is like keeping a journal-that's the reason I blog so I can someday look back and see what we've accomplished. And it is MUCH cheaper than scrap booking and you can actually print it! So Im going to sometime :)
Post a Comment