Monday, March 18, 2013

Carseat Covers

I'm really not that good at sewing, but I can make a few things.  Blankets, grocery bag holders, and burp rags are a few of the things that I have made since getting my sewing machine a couple years ago.  I hope to one day make a quilt, but I have no desire right now to take on a project that big.  Consider it now on the bucket list.  The main thing I sew a lot of are carseat covers.  When I was looking to buy a cover before Jax was born, I didn't really like a lot of the patterns out there.  The material either looked old fashioned or didn't have the style I wanted.  I finally found one I liked and bought it, but after a while the velcro grew weak and the straps didn't stay on the carseat very well.  I finally got fed up with always putting the velcro back on, so I bought some material and decided I was going to make my own.  I used the one I had as a rough pattern, and after a few hours I had made my very first cover. 

Here is the one I originally bought.  I love the pattern, but it just didn't really hold up that well.  Maybe one day I will re-do the velco on it and fix the straps a bit.


Here is the very first cover I made.  I made it for Jaxon and wanted something bright and cute for summer after he was born.


Since then I have made a lot of covers.  I usually make them for expecting family or friends as a baby gift, but I have made a couple for people I don't know that paid me for them.  Here are a few of the ones I made for people in the early stages of making covers.


Here are a few more ones I have made recently.

 
This last chevron one I just barely made for Gavin.  I am in love with it. So, I am not posting these to show off my sub-par sewing skills.  I have a question.  The other night, after watching an episode of Shark Tank (an ABC show where entrepreneurs seek money from investors), I had a dream that I owned a business making carseat covers.  It was an awesome business and I made a ton of money.  In my dream, I ended up becoming a billionaire and living in a huge mansion where I threw parades every morning and had firework shows every night.  I laughed out loud like Ursula on The Little Mermaid up high on my ivory balcony as I drank expensive champagne surrounded by greyhound dogs with blinged out diamond collars.  Epic, right.  

When I woke up, I laughed it off and kind of forgot about it.  Then I went to the grocery store, and 3 different women complimented me on my carseat cover and asked where they could buy one.  I got home and started researching if I could actually turn my hobby into a legitimate business.  I have been thinking about selling on etsy, but after doing the math on materials, sewing time, etsy fees, and shipping costs, I would be making about $4/hr.  Not worth it.  So, I am wondering if anyone knows of a good website or place to get quality, fashionable, cheap wholesale fabric so I can possibly drive costs down.  Right now, this business idea is all in my head, but if I can find the right price on materials, I might be able to make it a reality.  I wish I could drive to LA and visit the fabric district, but I can't.  I have found some fabric websites with great prices, but the fabric is old fashioned and not that cute.  If you have any tips, ideas, suggestions, experiences with etsy...please let me know.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

saren said...

This is such a great idea. The one you made for Loren is absolutely adorable. I say go for it. I will ask around for some fabric websites for you. YAY!!

tawsha said...

You should see the looks i get from people as I pass in the store with my cover on parkers seat. i get the weirdest looks, and as i pass i often hear people laugh and talk about it to each other. no one has them over hear and people either think i am crazy or are fascinated by it and wonder why i put a "cape" over my babys seat.

Jeremy and Natalie said...

Those are so cute! I don't have any advice. Just wanted to tell you they're adorable. :)

Jessica said...

I don't have any advice on where to get fabric (other than I know there is a fabric district in LA that you can buy lots of fabric at for cheap) but I would buy one from you!