Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Next week,

we will be visiting this pretty lady:

Having a husband who travels for work can be a pain, but sometimes it has its perks. We are pretty excited since we have never been to New York before, but we are also extremely nervous since we are traveling with Jax. I am not worried about the plane ride, because it is non-stop and I will have Robie. If I survived a 7 hour layover flight to Texas on my own when Jax was 6 months, so I am confident the plane will be a breeze.

I am more worried about being in a huge city and balancing all the gear that comes with a small child. Worried might be an understatement. I am kind of freaking out. For example, we are not renting a car, so do I bring a car seat? Do taxis have car seats? Our hotel is outside of the city, so how is nap time going to work when we are out and about? Do I bring a small stroller for convenience, or a large one so Jax can relax and it can hold our bags and stuff? Large diaper bag, or small purse? What if I get lost riding the subway? What if I get mugged and I can't get home because someone stole my money and I.D.? Okay...that probably won't happen, but there are a lot of "What Ifs" running through my mind right now.

So, I want to know- what tips do you have for traveling with a child in a big city (like NYC). Also, what are the best attractions or must see things in NYC if you have been there before?

4 comments:

Joanie Harbor said...

yes, bring your car seat -- they need to be sitting in it while in the car. if I were you, I would take the big stroller if you are doing a lot of walking- and maybe he will take a nap in it. if you are out and about lots, his nap schedule will get messed up- which is ok. it always happens on vacation. just get it back to normal when you get home. good luck!

VoNique said...

When we were in NYC we took the subway absolutely everywhere. We didn't take a taxi once. I LOVED the subway! It wasn't scary like I thought it was going to be, and it was just so convenient and cheap and fast. There are stops near anywhere that you'll want to go. I don't think you use a car seat on a subway...but you might need it just to get from the airport to your hotel? If you want to eat at a nice restaurant while you're there I highly recommend Carmine's. It's an itallian restaurant. Of course do the Statue of Liberty tour and Ellis island. (Note that Ellis island closes down earlier than the Statue of Liberty.) Be sure to see Central Park, and go to the top of the Empire State building. We saw ground Zero, but it's mostly looked like a construction site. Canal street is great for your sterotypical NYC shopping (knock offs etc). We're Seinfeld fans so we ate at the restaurant that they show the outside of on the show all the time (I don't think they actually filmed inside of that restaurant though because the set up is different. I think they just used a film set.) And we ate lunch at H&H bagel...where Kramer worked one episode. Time Square was cool and had lots of good shopping. We saw the outside of some of the other popular buildings there, like the Rockefeller Center (?) and I think a couple others that I'm forgetting now...the Ford building? I don't remember. I think it's the Rockefeller Center that has outdoor ice skating...and I think they do in central park too.

I'm not too familiar in the baby department, but I would think you'd want your big stroller if you're going to be away from your hotel most of the day, and just using the subways to get around. You'll probably on your feet a lot on the move and need to bring a lot of stuff with you for Jax. K, it's been years since I've been there, I'll let you know if I think of anything I forgot.

Anonymous said...

Definitely do the big stroller- you'll probably appreciate it in the airport too since you can check it at the gates. Generally you can also check carseats at the gate if you want, or you can do it normally without it counting as a bag (but check with the airline, but what's worse- bringing it and being inconvienienced carrying it and not using it, or getting there and finding out you need it but don't have it?

Monica said...

How fun! For sure Central Park! Lower east village for good eats. SOHO. Buy a week long subway pass and use it like no tomorrow. You will have a great time! I want to hear all about it when you get back!