A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to serve the community with United Way. I volunteered through my work, not really knowing what I was signing up for. All I knew is I thought it would be a fun way to give back to the community. By signing up, I actually became the group leader/coordinator for the project. I have not served in a long time, and I forgot how great it feels to serve.
Some friends from work and I had a great time serving pancakes to the volunteers before heading out to our individual group projects. It was family volunteer day, and I lead my group to The Alpine House in Provo. The Alpine House provides a temporary home for individuals already in the community with emotional problems of such a nature that the atmosphere of the home would be beneficial for them. These people have severe mental disorders and most of them have just been discharged from Utah State Hospital. The Alpine House gives them a place to live for a short time while they are trying to get back on their feet. We spent 3 hours putting up Christmas trees, hanging holiday decorations, and making Christmas cards for the home. It was such a great experience and reminded me of the true meaning of Christmas. I hope to find more opportunities to serve in the future.

No comments:
Post a Comment