Monday, December 7, 2009

And now...the blog you've been waiting for!

Meeting David Archuleta was not quite the experience I thought it was going to be.  I counted down the days, picked the perfect outfit, and left work early for the big day.  When I arrived at the VIP group, I quickly realized I was the minority.  Not even joking, 90 percent of VIP guests were women over the age of 40.  I will call them cougars...even though most of them would be lucky to be called that.  I consider myself a pretty big fan of David.  Anyone who knows me knows I can get a little crazy over him, but these cougars were outright CA-RAZY!  Wow...I don't even know how to explain.  If being Davids #1 fan means having to compete with these ladies, I will gladly hand over that title.  These ladies were giddy like little school girls over a boy who is over half their age, they all brought him lavish gifts in giant gift bags, some wrote him 10 page letters (where I am sure they proclaimed their undying love), and they all referred to him in conversation like they were best friends with him.  For many of the cougars, this was their second night meeting him since they paid for the VIP event the night before as well.  Obsessed much?  A small group of these cougars even went as far as to chew out one of the workers because they did not have a front row seat in his concert, which means they would not get the chance to touch his hand.  What!?  Bonkers I tell you.  Absolute madness!  Who do these women think they are?  I was honestly scared.  Scared for me, and scared for poor David Archuleta.  I really feel bad for him.  I can't begin to explain the creepiness. They look normal, but don't let that deceive you.

So, back to me arriving at the VIP event.  There were around 150 other VIP members, which was way more than I was expecting.  We all got in line where we received our tickets for the concert and our VIP badge.  They encouraged us to buy merchandise while the lines were low, so I took advantage and bought a shirt and a Christmas CD for my family (hoping I could get David to sign it).  Then, they took us upstairs to the VIP room where we were given finger foods and drinks.  After about 30 min of hanging out in a room with no one I knew, we were taken to a mini-concert where David warmed up by singing 2 songs.  He sang "Mary Did You Know" and "The Christmas Song" (also known as "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire").  It was amazing hearing him sing.  He is seriously so talented!  After his 2 songs, he answered questions from 3 people that were randomly chosen in the group.  One of the girls was so lame, and didn't even seem excited that she was standing one foot away from David as he was answering a questions she got to ask.  Stupid girl. The mini-concert was still great though.

After the mini-concert, we were taken back into the VIP room where we waited for David to come for the "meet-n-greet".  Well, it was not much of a meet and greet.  For one, David's voice was sore, so his manager told us we were not allowed to ask him any questions, and he was not allowed to talk.  Lame.  For two, David was not allowed to sign anything, because it would take too much time since there were so many people there. (Thanks for letting us know before I bought a CD for him to sign that I could have bought for $10 less at Wal-mart.)  Instead of signing things, he likes to take pictures because the memory lasts longer...which I think is really cool.  However, the third lame reason the meet and greet sucked was when it was time for me to FINALLY get a picture with David, the moment lasted half a second before the VIP workers pushed you along to make room for the next person.  Seriously, this is how it went:

(Walk up to David)
Me: Hi, my name is Chelsea.
David: Hi Chelsea.
Me: I just wanted to say how much I love your music.  Thanks for sharing your wonderful talent.
David: Smile and nod.
(Picture taken)
Me: Thanks
(Being pushed along by the workers to make room for the next person)
(Me thinking, "This can't be it!  This is the moment I have been waiting for?  No way!  I have to say something else.  What should I say?  Oh, I know...I will say Happy Thanksgiving.  Or maybe I will say Merry Christmas.  Chelsea, hurry up, pick one, and say it now...!)
Me: Bye David, Merry Thanksgiving!

Yes, I really said Merry Thanksgiving.  I will never live that moment down. Never. After all the pictures, David waved goodbye.  That was it.  We were given gift bags consisting of a David Archuleta Christmas scarf, a David Archuleta Christmas ornament, and a David Archuleta light up heart necklace.  A few autographed shirts and other merchandise were raffled off too, and of course the stupid girl who already got to ask David a question in the mini-concert won an autographed item too.  Double lame.  Do I have the worst luck ever or what?

Meeting some band members

Finally, we were able to take our seats for the concert.  I was sitting in row 5 smack dab in the middle of the stage.  To the left of me sat a crazy cougar, and to the right of me I was blessed to have some normal teenage girls.  The concert was AMAZING!  It was everything I hoped and dreamed of, and probably the best part of the whole night.  David sang flawless, like always, and there was a peace in the air when he sang the beautiful Christmas songs about the Savior.

Singing with his Mom

Now I can say I met David Archuleta (even though it was hardly a meeting).  Although the whole experience was way different than I expected, it was still fun and memorable.  Thanks to my wonderful husband for getting me the tickets!  As much as I love David Archuleta, I hope you always know I Love YOU a million, bazillion, quadrillion times more infinity!  MWAH!


A few days after the concert, I was so excited to hang my new David Archuleta Christmas ornament on our new tree.  As I was oh so carefully hanging it on the perfect branch, something went horribly wrong.  It slipped, and it broke...more like shattered.  I'm not going to lie, I was pretty devestated.  I will never get another one like it, but I took a picture as an eternal memory.


1 comment:

Christie said...

That's pretty scary about all those cougar women. They're probably the same women my age that lust over the Twilight guys who are young enough to be their sons! Glad you finally got to "meet" Archie. I love reading your blogs!