Wednesday, August 22, 2012

from weeds to flowers

I hate weeds.  I also hate pulling weeds.  This combo doesn't go well together.  At the beginning of spring, we paid a few guys to weed our front yard.  It looked amazing.  I had every intention of putting weed blocker down and adding bark to prevent future weeds from growing...but it never happened.  Week after week, more weeds would grow, and week after week I would get more pregnant and less inclined to weed.  I knew it was bad when one giant weed was almost taller than I was and our house started to look like this:

 


I know those pics are not really of our house, but it was pretty close.  The weeds were out of control.  I know they are just weeds, but they were really bugging me.  I couldn't even look at my front yard without feeling like I should be on an episode of hillbilly yards or something.  Last week I really wanted to do something about it, but I started getting horrible back pains and I was really slowing down with being pregnant.  I had so little energy and the last thing I wanted to do was be outside in the heat pulling weeds with giant spiders that were sure to bite and kill me.

On Wednesday, I was having a particularly stressful day.  My back was shooting pain up my spine, the baby had successfully managed to bruise all of my right ribs, and Jaxon was being possessed by a demon.  He has been waking up screaming every night with what I can only guess are nightmares, so I have been getting very little sleep.  He would not take a nap, and I am pretty sure he had "torture mommy" on his agenda for the day.  It was one of those days where you know they are so tired, so you just force them to cry it out in their crib and you put on some headphones to try and drown out the cries.  I remember starring at the walls and wishing Jax would just fall asleep so I could get some relief.  I said the longest prayer ever and I pleaded for comfort, peace, and energy to weed my front yard.

Jaxon finally fell asleep, and I went outside to get the mail.  When I stepped outside, something was different.  I looked around and realized my yard was completely weed free.  It's the first time I can say I was just speechless and totally in shock.  I stood unable to move for a good minute just looking around waiting for the punchline in what was obviously a big joke.  So many emotions hit me at once, and I just started bawling. Thank goodness no one was actually outside at that moment, because I was literally doing the loud ugly cry.  It was embarrassing how hard I was crying.  (I blame the pregnancy hormones.)  I went inside and continued sobbing.  I really have not cried that hard in a long time.  It was almost like a reverse anxiety attack, but instead of hyperventilating from stress I was hyperventilating from shock and gratitude.  I called Robie and all I could get between sobbing was, "yard....weeds....gone...who?".  He had no idea who it was, and neither did I.  I had been home all day, so how could I not be aware that someone was outside weeding?  

I racked my brain over and over at who could do such a meaningful act of service.  I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, but I could not help but feel overwhelmed with gratitude.  I later learned who the secret service ninjas were, and was able to thank them in person.  I don't think they will ever really know how thankful I am for their help, especially on that specific day.  I will always remember their kindness, and I hope I can be more tuned in to others around me that might be in need of help that I can give.

 

As if that experience was not enough, there came more.  I had to leave right when Robie got home from work.  I am a youth adviser in our church, and all the young women were going swimming that night.  I was gone a few hours, and when I came home the house was clean and quiet.  Robie was reading Jaxon some books, and he told me to check out the surprise Jaxon got me in his bedroom.  When I walked in, there were beautiful roses and a card from Jax.  I rarely get random flowers.  Robie thinks they are a waste of money, so this was a huge deal for me.  The card from Jax said that he was sorry for being bad, he thinks I am a great mommy, and he loves me so much.  The pregnancy hormones started up again, and I couldn't help but cry and be so thankful for my wonderful family.  I love my boys so much!  It's amazing how what started as a bad day ended in one of the best days I have had in a while.  I'm so thankful to have such wonderful family and friends in my life.


4 comments:

Jacie Saltzman said...

awesome!! thats the best. its funny how u often reach a breaking point and the Lord will place someone in your life just when u need it. makes me wanna go do something nice for someone! thats precious

Unknown said...

I love that you wrote that experience down. I don't know how many times I've had experience like that and now I can't even remember them :(

The not and flowers from Jaxon are so cute. Seriously made me cry because I can totally put myself in that situation...don't worry, all moms have those days.

VoNique said...

What a sweet post, it makes me teary!

(K, PS, this is the 5th time I'm trying to post this comment because the stupid word verification thingy is NOT legible and is rejecting all my attempts!!)

The Nothums said...

I almost cried reading that myself. Dang pregnancy hormones! Those are some amazing people who did something amazing for you! And as a side note, I don't let Andrew buy me flowers because I think they're a waste of money also. ;) and p.s. olivia has been in "torture mommy mode" for a few weeks. i can't even take her to the store it seems like. ugh. I'm positive it will pass eventually!