Wednesday, June 13, 2012

San Diego Trip

We went to San Diego, CA for 8 days last week.  The trip started out horribly, because I was really, REALLY sick.  I think it was food poisoning or some crazy plague, because it started 3 days before we left for our trip and was still lingering when we flew to San Diego.  It got so bad when we landed, I told Robie I was in the worst pain of my life (besides labor).  It took forever to get our rental car, because the place messed up on the one we ordered.  I thought I was going to die, and when we finally got our car I made Robie drive me to the ER.  The ER in San Diego was super busy, so I said a prayer and felt like we should leave.  That made me mad, because I still felt sick, but I went to sleep and woke up 100% better.  I hope I never EVER get that sick again.


We spent the night with Robie's sister, Linda, in Temecula, CA.  I really liked that city, and it was so much fun being able to see Linda, Ron, and their two boys (Nathan and Emmett).  They loved hanging out with Jaxon, and they made the yummiest food for us.


We went to church with them the next day, and it was Jaxon's second day of nursery (even though he's almost 18 months).  Everything was going well, until they brought him to me saying he had a blowout.  I thought, "There is no way he would have a blowout.  He hasn't had one since he was 7 months old!" Sure enough...he did and it was EVERYWHERE.  Of course I haven't changed his spare outfit in forever, so he was stuck wearing a 9 month Thanksgiving outfit with a giant turkey on his butt for the rest of church.  It didn't even fit him, and it was so embarrassing (for me, not him).  His original church outfit was way cuter.

After staying the night with Linda, we headed to our resort.  It was quite a drive away from everything, but when we finally got there it was SO nice.  Giant living and dining room, full kitchen, pantry, two huge bedrooms with King beds, and two full bathrooms.  It was nice being able to buy groceries and just lounge around and eat at our place.

We visited the San Diego African Safari park, which happened to only be 20 minutes from our condo.  It was so fun to see the animals, and there were not a lot of people there so we didn't have to wait for anything.


On our safari ride looking at all the animals.

Don't you just love the random man in the background who wanted to join in our picture?

This baby and adult elephant were playing so much when we were there.  It was so funny to watch them tackle, push, and poke at each other.


The next day we drove to Huntington Beach to go to the beach.  Jax didn't like the beach At. All.  He was fine until a cold wave splashed him, and after that he only wanted to be held.  It was so pretty when we were there, and I wish it would have been a little warmer so we could have swam a little.

(This first picture is my favorite.)

 While at Huntington Beach, we also got to visit Robie's Aunt LaRae and meet up with our niece, Rachel (Linda's oldest daughter).  She drove so long from her college in Santa Barbara just to spend a couple hours with us and meet Jaxon.  It was so much fun hanging out with her, eating dinner, and walking the pier.


The next couple days, we just hung out at our resort.  We swam in the pool, played on the playground, played shuffleboard, rented movies, and ate junk food.  It was bliss.  Robie built a big "mountain" of pillows on our bed for Jax to climb up and roll down. Evidently, he used to do the same thing as a kid. To say Jax loved it would be an understatement.


On Friday, we met up with our nephews again and went to Sea World.  Robie was glad they came with us, because he didn't want to have to ride all the big rides by himself.  I love Sea World, and I was expecting San Diego to be way bigger than San Antonio (where I usually go).  Not the case.  We didn't even get to feed the dolphins, which is the best part.  It was still a lot of fun being there.  Jaxon loved this dog show they had, and he even got to ride his first "roller-coaster".  Can't you tell he loved it?


Some little boys love trucks, cars, and planes.  Jaxon is obsessed with ducks.  He was so happy to win this little rubber ducky at one of the kiddy games.


Nathan and Emmett stayed the night with us.  Robie loved playing basketball and all kinds of sports with them since all I wanted to do was relax. The next day we took them back to Temecula, and Linda watched Jaxon so we could go on a hot date for our 5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY.  I can't believe it's been 5 years already!  We went to a movie and saw Snow White and the Huntsman, and then we ate dinner at a steakhouse.  It was nice to get out and not worry about Jaxon.  Thanks again Linda!

(Worst picture ever from my phone, but it's the only one I have from dinner.)

We headed home on Sunday, but before we went to the airport we ate some lunch and walked around this cute dog beach in San Diego.  There were so many different types of dogs there.  One couple even had 8 chihuahuas with little outfits on. 


 We were all ready to go home, and we learned that our flight had been delayed.  It was Jaxon's bedtime and I only had 2 diapers left for the trip home, along with one bottle of milk.  None of the little gift shops in the airport had milk, and Jax was getting SO cranky.  I was grateful that I wasn't sick this time at the airport, but my patience was growing thin from the whole situation.  At one point, the airline said we wouldn't be able to fly out until the next day, but luckily we were able to get a flight a few hours later.  We got home around 3am.  I felt bad, because Robie had to go to work the next morning, but I was glad we made it home okay. 


We loved our San Diego trip so much, we figured it would be a good idea to book another vacation before baby #2 comes.  So, at the end of Aug-beginning Sept we will be heading to Hawaii!  Robie's work basically paid for our flights and we got a super cheap condo on a beach in Oahu, so it couldn't have worked out better (other than the fact that I will be 7 months pregnant).  We are still weighing the pros/cons to bringing Jax, but I think it should be an awesome last vacation before life gets crazy again with another baby.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

looks like so much fun! You guys did a lot. And you look so great! I can't imagine what it would be like to travel with a child-lots of work! But hopefully someday I will find out!